Breathwork has contraindications because of its strong nervous system and gland (endocrine system) activation and intense physical and emotional experience. With some health conditions we need to be attentive when practicing breathwork. However, with other health conditions, it is better not to get into practice before your conditions are improved.
To be on the safe side always let your facilitator know of your health conditions and medication you are taking so he can be more mindful of your physiological and mental state and give you better support during your journey!
Health Conditions that can be safe to practice breathwork with.
(Please, ALWAYS inform your facilitator of any of the conditions listed below so we can discuss the severity, frequencies and the risk factor!)
- Pregnancy – (let us know of your stage)
- Asthma – mild or medium (bring your inhalator!)
- High blood pressure
- History of surgery or physical injury
- Thyroid condition
- History of seizure
- Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or psychiatric condition
- Actively using recreational drugs or medication that alters brain chemistry – painkillers, anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, stimulants, hallucinogens, etc.
- Recent surgery or recent physical injury – (depends, advice with your therapist)
If any of those apply to you please inform your facilitator to discuss the risk factor.
Contraindications that are not safe to practice breathwork with.
(Please, ALWAYS inform your facilitator of any of the conditions listed below while requesting a private therapy session or making reservations for breathwork circles! We’ll need to talk about severity, and risk factors.)
- Cardiovascular disease (angina, previous heart attacks, or strokes)
- Detached retina
- Aneurysm in brain or abdomen
- Kidney disease
- Severe Asthma
- Any other medical, physical or psychiatric condition which would impair or affect the ability to involve in deep physical and emotional release. – (depends, advice with your therapist)
All your medical and health-related information will remain confidential!